Forty ninth-grade students from Jewish day schools, public schools, home schools, private schools, and schools in other countries applied and were accepted, forming the largest first class of any Jewish community high school in United States history. Within weeks, the original students began to affectionately call the school “New Jew” and adopted the Jaguar as their mascot.
NCJHS rapidly outgrew its temporary home at the Bernard Milken Jewish Community Campus, also the home of the Jewish Community Center and the Jewish Federation. The school moved to an interim campus on the grounds of Shomrei Torah Synagogue, quickly expanding to become the second largest Jewish community high school in the nation and extending its range of academic, extracurricular, and co-curricular offerings.
In 2006, the 47 students in the school’s pioneering class graduated from NCJHS. Since then, over 1000 graduates have assumed leadership positions on college campuses and professional positions at prestigious companies. Others have pursued advanced degrees in medicine, law, design, film and entertainment, international relations, business, education, Jewish communal work, and more. Still others have served in the U.S. and Israeli militaries, and/or participated in post-high school programs in Israel. Annually, more than 200 outstanding colleges and universities accept our graduates.
In early 2010, NCJHS received provisional membership in the California Association of Independent Schools (CAIS). In the fall of 2010, NCJHS purchased the Bernard Milken Jewish Community Campus in West Hills from the Jewish Federation of Greater Los Angeles. In June 2012, NCJHS became fully accredited by CAIS and re-accredited by WASC and BJE. In July 2012, NCJHS closed escrow on its permanent home and began a multi-year renovation process. On August 29, 2013, NCJHS opened its new campus.